The Spanish traveling the El Camino Real named Encinitas for the live oaks that dotted the hills in the area. Today Encinitas, incorporated in 1986, encompasses Leucadia, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, and Olivenhain in addition to the original Encinitas area.Located 25 miles north of San Diego, Encinitas is a comfy-cozy introduction to neighborhood-style SoCal culture. With its six miles of Pacific coastline in northern San Diego County, Encinitas has an approximate population of 60,000 and is characterized by coastal beaches, cliffs, flat-topped coastal areas, steep mesa bluffs and rolling hills.
Encinitas is also known for its surfable beaches, botanical bounty and spiritual awareness. Downtown Encinitas offer mornings of outdoor activities set off with a healthy smoothie, followed by afternoons of shopping and garden strolling, and early evenings of spicy Italian food plus low-key entertainment.
AREA PHONE NUMBERS
- City Hall - City of Encinitas
- Police - SD County Sheriff
- Fire - Encinitas Fire District
- Encinitas School District
- Electric Company - SDG&E
- Water - San Dieguito Water District
- Water - Olivenhain Municipal Water District
- Trash Pickup - EDCO Waste & Recycling
- Cable TV - Time Warner Cable
- Cable TV - Cox Cable
- Cable TV - AT&T